Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kick-Ass Corn Salad



First of all, I relize that I will not win any food photography awards with this horrible picture taken from my camera phone, but the computer that I download my pictures from my digital camera to is on the fritz, therefore, this is what you get.

I got this recipe from my mother in law who got it from Real Simple Magazine a few years ago, and to tell you the truth, I don't remember the actual name since I now just make it from memory instead of looking at the recipe. Therefore, I have appropriately named it "Kick-Ass Corn Salad."

This salad is perfect this time of year as the sweet corn is just right, therefore it is your PERFECT farmers market salad with the cherry tomatoes, cilantro, corn, red onion, limes and avocado, and it goes perfect as a side for your veggie burgers or even veggie tacos!

(By the way, I suggest using REAL sweet corn FROM THE COB in this salad. Canned corn and frozen corn don't do it justice. You can prepare the corn on the cob by boiling it in water for a few minutes and removing the kernels from the cob with a serrated knife. I use about six cobs in this recipe)

Kick-Ass Corn Salad

2 cups Corn (I use about 6 cobs which is a little more than that)
1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
The juice of one lime
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground sea salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. If it's going to be awhile before serving, add the avocados right before you serve to preserve their color.

The good thing about this recipe is you can taste as you go and add more or less of each ingredient to your liking!

2 comments:

m.a. said...

I think that I'm going to have to give this a try this weekend.

Grad School Reject said...

This looks good to me. Growing up in a rural part of Maryland we could a doze ears of corn for a couple of bucks from the farmer down the road. We found all kinds of ways to integrate it into meals, but nothing quite like this.

That invitation to come to DC and have a cooking paryt still stands. MA actually has a kick ass kitchen.