Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stop Mocking Me, Chickpea Salad



I've seen variations of this salad marketed as "Mock Tuna Salad" and "Mock Chicken Salad." Why do people feel it necessary to associate a perfectly good food with that of other foods?

Who knows, maybe they feel that they are getting more if they are eating tuna and/or chicken. I say those people are crazy.

The chickpea is a good source of protein and iron, and an excellent source of fiber. Plus is has no cholesterol so it won't clog your arteries.

Now, on to the Vegenaise.

I love Vegenaise, and if I were stranded on an island and I could choose one thing to bring with me I would honestly have a hard time deciding between chapstick and Vegenaise. And the more I think about it the more I think that the grapeseed oil in Vegenaise could double as chapstick...So there you have it.

And just when you thought this salad couldn't get any better, don't forget about the flax seed oil. This is not necessary for the salad to taste good, it just adds some healthy Omega 3 oils that are known to help reduce inflammation. So if you have some, add it, if not then it's not a recipe breaker.

Once again, I have to say that when I make this, I usually turn it into a hodgepodge of ingredients, and I don't really measure anything. I'll stick to the basics, and know that if you don't like sweet pickles you can use celery, or if you don't like mustard, you can leave it out, if you want more Vegenaise then add it, because ultimately it's up to you. So quit pouting and make this however you want to.

You can serve this on top of fresh spinach with sliced avocado, or you can put it on a piece of gluten free toasted bread or crackers...Whatever blows your skirt up.

Stop Mocking Me Chichpea Salad


1 15 oz can Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
1/4 cup Vegenaise
1/4 cup sweet pickles, finely chopped
2 Tbsp red onion finely chopped
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp. flax seed oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste

In a medium sized bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until most of the beans are mashed.

Combine everything else and mix well with a fork.

Season to taste.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I'm not vegan, but I have to make this one.