Saturday, March 1, 2008

Black Bean and Yam Ragout with Grilled Polenta


This is the first recipe I actually created on my own. Wait, I should clarify that...This is the first recipe I created on my own after ordering it twice at The Good Earth.

With that being said, I believe that I "created" it because I didn't have a recipe to follow, and the fact that it came out to taste freaking delicious must make me some sort of culinary genius.

For the Polenta, I use Bob's Red Mill polenta mix. I love Bob's products, and you can find them at almost any grocery store, they're natural and priced right.

If you don't like polenta, you can use brown basmati rice...It's your choice, nobody is holding a gun to your head ferchrissakes.

Black Bean and Yam Ragout with Grilled Polenta

For the Ragout:

1 large onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped fine
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/3 cups veggie broth
1 large yam, diced into 1 inch chunks
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup Orange Juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons tamari or gluten free soy sauce
One avocado, sliced
Dried hot pepper flakes

In a large deep skillet cook the onion, the garlic, and the jalapeno in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the yams and veggie broth, cover and cook over medium to low heat stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the yams are soft.

While the dish is simmering, prepare the polenta according to the directions, I like to add a little agave nectar while it is simmering to add a little sweetness.

Mix the corn starch and O.J. in a small bowl. Stir in the tomato paste and the O.J. mixture, along with the tomatoes, black beans and tamari into the the pan with the veggies and bring the ragout to a boil, stirring. Simmer the ragout for 2 minutes and season it with salt and pepper.

Spoon ragout over the top of the prepared polenta and garnish with sliced avocado and hot pepper flakes.

4 comments:

Danika said...

Having experienced this firsthand, I can assure your readers that this is delicious!

m.a. said...

First, I will certainly try this. Second, Mike Rowe is on my list as well.

LZ Blogger said...

First of all... Anything with both avacado and jalapeño pepper involved in it... I'M IN! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

OMG... I just died and went to blackbean heaven... pass the "Beano" please ;-)