Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Attitude

Attitude isn't necessarily a culinary recipe, but it is a recipe for success.

[Insert gratitutious "Jenni is such a cheeseball" comments here]

Seriously though, it's how you look at life and how you react to situations that make your life that much more fullfilling.

There's a rather long quotation from Maya Angelou regarding living life, and I wanted to share that with you here.

“I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're
gone from your life. I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life. I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

-Maya Angelou

There is so much to say about how you react to what life throws your way. You can either take what it gives you and run with it, or continue to let it pile up until you're buried beneath the rubble.

I have a spin instructor who teaches mind-body workouts for both spin and yoga classes. She has most recently started a business, 1000 Petals, and has been speaking for Yoga Calm, a program that encourages bringing yoga into the classroom for children.

I take a few of her classes and not only do I get a great workout, but I also get a little kick-in-the-pants as far as attitude is concerned. One of the most inspirational things I have taken away from her is...

"Life is happening for you, not to you."

Smack in the middle of a 60 second sprint, or during a hill climb, she'll shout those words and just when you feel like you want to fall off of your bike she'll scream "YES YOU CAN!" And that's what will inevitably make you work that much harder.

I take these words as gifts and apply them to my life, where for me, it's about never giving up on myself.

So, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis? Big deal. I'm not going to let it control who I am or where I'm going.

Through diet, exercise, and attitude I took control back from something that was trying to take from me. I respected the illness, but I didn't let it win.

We all have the power and ability to take control and make life happen for us. Whether it's eating more healthfully, listening to our bodies, or taking that first step towards physical fitness, it's all within reach, and it's closer than you've ever imagined.

Be Well, Live Happy!

~jenni

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Jenni,

This is such an excellent post! Made me tear up a little! I believe our attitude is the key. These points are so important for us to remember every single day!

Jenni said...

Thank You! If I wouldn't look silly, I'd have a few lines from that Maya Angelou quote tattooed on my forehead for the world to see...We all need to be reminded every once in awhile.

Unknown said...

Wow! I have a post started (not finished) on my blog about this same thing. It is amazing what we are capable of doing when we have a positive attitude.

I am looking forward to reading more of your blog as I also believe diet and other alternative paths are so important in our recovery.

Jenni said...

Welcome Cathy! The messages we continually tell ourselves stick; that's why you'll never hear me complain about living with R.A. Fortunately, through diet and exercise I have it under control and experience minimum (if at all) pain and stiffness, and in the 5 years I've been going the natural way I've had no further joint damage!

It's truly a blessing, and I want to share everything I know with anyone who will listen in hopes it will help them too.