Sunday, February 17, 2013

Homemade Almond Milk


When I first saw a recipe for homemade almond milk I thought "UGH! That seems really labor intensive."  But that's only because I didn't allow myself to get past the "soak almonds for 4 hours" part of the recipe, which is silly, because it's only soaking almonds in a bowl...It's not like it instructed me to "soak almonds in a bowl while resting it on your feet as you stand on your head reciting text from War and Peace in your best Sean Connery voice for 4 hours straight."  Seriously.  Talk about over reacting.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally gave it a try and I'm really glad I did because you will never find me buying the store-bought stuff again. Not only is it super easy to make, it's fresh and is also more flavorful and void of some of the funky ingredients/preservatives found in the store-bought milk.


Almond milk is great in cereals, smoothies, hot coco, and is an acceptable replacement for other milks in cooking and baking. I like to flavor my almond milk with a hint of vanilla, but if you're feeling particularily adventurous, you can spruce it up with cinnamon, or even make it chocolate by adding raw coco powder and upping the maple syrup for the corresponding 
sweetness.

All you need to create your own delicious almond milk (besides the ingredients of course) is a high speed blender, a nut milk filter bag (my husband hates it when I talk about my nut bag-But I do it just to bug him, naturally), and a container in which to store your milk.



Eat Healthy Stay Happy!

Almond Milk
1cup raw almonds-Soaked for 4 hours
4 cups filtered water
1Tbsp maple syrup
pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract

Combine almonds and water in a high speed blender, blending on high for about 2 minutes.  Pour the contents of the blender into a nut milk filter bag over a large bowl (or cheesecloth) and squeeze all the remaining water out of the bag.  (You can reserve the pulp for baking, or for smoothies)
Rinse out your blender, pour the filtered milk back into the blender adding the remaining ingredients.  Blend on low until mixed.
Pour your finished almond milk into a glass container.  Best when chilled-Will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days.




No comments: