Friday, June 7, 2013

Cinnamon Banana Waffles AKA: I Have a Fridge Full of Duck Eggs

I have a fridge full of duck eggs from my marvelous CSA share.  So, I do what any well-respected CSA participant would do... I scour the internet in search of fun and delicious ways to prepare and serve them.

A word on duck eggs: Duck eggs are larger, richer, and more flavorful than chicken eggs, which is why bakers love them...They make baked goods that much more decadent!

I came across this recipe from paleOMG via the folks at Just Eat Real Food.  Both great resources for those that are on a paleo diet, gluten-free, or trying to cut out refined sugar.

Being on a anti-inflammatory diet for my RA, I have to be careful with eggs, but I find I am okay with them in moderation.  Given these waffles are also gluten free and refined sugar free, I was really excited to give them a try and I'm glad I did, because not only were they delicious, but I am able to share them with you right before the weekend!

I made a few small changes from the original recipe, by adding 2 TBSP of maple syrup instead of three and substituting duck eggs for the chicken eggs. If you're making this for 2 people, you can definitely cut the recipe in half and you will have more than enough, and if you are making these in a waffle maker remember: less is more.  This will help you avoid any waffle explosions like the one I experienced in the first batch-The waffle maker and I needed to re-familiarize ourselves with each other...It was awkward at first, but now we're cool.

Enjoy your weekend and most importantly...

Eat Healthy, Stay Happy!

Cinnamon Banana Waffles
Recipe from paleOMG


  • 2 medium bananas, very ripe
  • 2 eggs (I used duck eggs)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • ¼ cup coconut or almond milk
  • 1 cup almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt


  1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. Mash the bananas and place them along with the, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, and milk in a large bowl and mix either by hand with a wooden spoon, or with a hand mixer until smooth.
  3. Add the almond meal, shredded coconut, arrowroot flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and mix well to combine.
  4. Pour mixture into waffle iron (if you don't have a non-stick waffle iron, make sure to grease yours before)
  5. Top with fresh fruit, and real maple syrup. Serve warm



No comments: