A word on duck eggs: Duck eggs are larger, richer, and more flavorful than chicken eggs, which is why bakers love them...They make baked goods that much more decadent!
I came across this recipe from paleOMG via the folks at Just Eat Real Food. Both great resources for those that are on a paleo diet, gluten-free, or trying to cut out refined sugar.
Being on a anti-inflammatory diet for my RA, I have to be careful with eggs, but I find I am okay with them in moderation. Given these waffles are also gluten free and refined sugar free, I was really excited to give them a try and I'm glad I did, because not only were they delicious, but I am able to share them with you right before the weekend!
I made a few small changes from the original recipe, by adding 2 TBSP of maple syrup instead of three and substituting duck eggs for the chicken eggs. If you're making this for 2 people, you can definitely cut the recipe in half and you will have more than enough, and if you are making these in a waffle maker remember: less is more. This will help you avoid any waffle explosions like the one I experienced in the first batch-The waffle maker and I needed to re-familiarize ourselves with each other...It was awkward at first, but now we're cool.
Enjoy your weekend and most importantly...
Eat Healthy, Stay Happy!
Cinnamon Banana Waffles
Recipe from paleOMG
- 2 medium bananas, very ripe
- 2 eggs (I used duck eggs)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mash the bananas and place them along with the, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, and milk in a large bowl and mix either by hand with a wooden spoon, or with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the almond meal, shredded coconut, arrowroot flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into waffle iron (if you don't have a non-stick waffle iron, make sure to grease yours before)
- Top with fresh fruit, and real maple syrup. Serve warm